As well as living with Still’s Disease, over the past couple of years I have also developed a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa, due to being on Prednisolone for so many years. Hidradenitis causes swelling, abscesses and leaky channels to the surface of the skin, particularly around lymph and sweat glands (lovely I know). Last August I had a procedure to remove the worst affected area in my left groin, a procedure that took a long time to recover from, since it means leaving an open wound to heal. Eventually though, it did heal and I was just left with a neat scar. The surgeon wanted to do the same procedure on the right side, but it seemed to settle down, plus I became so poorly with the Still’s that it wouldn’t have been possible until now anyway.
But now, I do need it doing. With the reduction of the Prednisolone the right hand side has flared up again and is swollen and sore with some drainage every now and again. Even the left side, below my scar and previous site, is tender. I think this is what happened last time too – that my HS flares seem to be related to reducing the Prednisolone, although I’m not sure why that would be. So yeah, I should really have it seen too. The difficult thing is that I have been through so much illness this year and am just starting to feel pretty good, with lots of positive things happening in my life, that it is hard to make the phonecall to arrange the surgery and put myself back into the ‘sick’ role 😦 I was really lucky last time; as horrendous as the wound looked, it was never extremely painful and I had minimal infection. This time could be different and could set me back. There are risks as with any surgery.
The other thing is that I want to aim to go back to work in September, so I would prefer to get it done sooner rather than later, as I do not want to have to take time off for something else (did I mention I already need a procedure to take two wisdom teeth out?!) At the same time, I remember the discomfort of having an active HS site when I was last at work – that was not easy either. Plus, if the site becomes infected, it will jeopardise my Infliximab treatment and that’s the last thing I want.
There is so much to consider, so I’m giving myself this weekend to mull it over and if I decide to go ahead with it, I’ll phone on Monday.
What would you do?
Edit: I just reread the HS information on the above link and strangely, Infliximab is one of the suggested treatments so in theory I shouldn’t even be having this flare of it.